Did you know Saturday April 22 is Earth Day?
Started as a grassroots movement in 1970, Earth Day was proposed by then-Senator Gaylord Nelson. After seeing the damage done by a 1969 massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, California, he wanted to organize a national “teach-in” focused on educating the public about the environment.
On April 20, 1970 with a staff of only 85, he rallied 20 million people across the United States to hold protests and to gather and discuss the environment and how to protect the planet. Since then, Earth Day has grown and gone global; today, more than one billion people across the world participate in Earth Day activities, according to Earth Day Network.
The Earth Day movement is actually what created the public support for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and contributed to the passage of the Clean Air Act, the Water Quality Improvement Act, the Endangered Species Act and several other environmental laws.
Not up for taking it to the streets? There are plenty of easy things you can do on Earth Day (and every day) to help protect the planet and keep the environment safe for your children and grandchildren.
- Plant a tree in your yard. Just one tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year and can sequester 1 ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old.
- Repurpose something that you were going to trash. Turn an old pair of socks into dusting mits. Or, make colorful containers from old plastic bottles.
- Replace the standard light bulbs in your house with the more eco-friendly LEDs that use less energy and last a lot longer.
- Make a donation to an environmental charity, like The Sierra Club or The Wildlife Conservation Network.
- Upgrade to the ZPower Rechargeable Battery System, a unique solution for Beltone Hearing Aids.
- They can charge fully in just 2 – 4 hours and last up to 24 hours.
- They are fully recyclable.
- They will save you money you are spending on disposable batteries.
- They can be easily swapped out for disposable batteries at any time.
- They are good for the environment.
- Schedule an appointment for a demo to find out more.