- Review all the recommended maintenance procedures listed in the user manual provided with your hearing aid.
- Clean your hearing aid as instructed with a soft, dry cloth to get rid of earwax, dust, and debris.
- Store the device in a sealed container to prevent it from getting wet.
- Have your ears cleaned regularly to prevent earwax from building up and clogging the hearing aid.
- Switch off the hearing aid when you’re not using it to prolong battery life.
- Don’t wear your hearing aid in the shower or swimming pool, or while using a hair dryer or hairspray.
When should you check your hearing aid for damages?
In spite of your precautions, you may sometimes still require hearing aid repair. If you notice any of the following, get it checked for damages as soon as possible:
Feedback or static
If you hear any sort of feedback – chirping, whistling or other interfering noises – it may be because of a malfunctioning internal tube, a crack in one of the vents, or the aid being improperly positioned in the ear.
Your ear hurts
Hearing aids should fit comfortably in your ear. If your device is causing you pain, visit your Hearing Care Practitioners to get it checked and readjusted.
The hearing aid is dead
If your hearing aid does not function at all, check to see if the battery is dead. You could simply replace the battery if that is the case. It could also be because the earwax or debris are blocking the sound from going into the ear. Removing blockage and cleaning the hearing aid often restores functionality. If the device is still dead, it may be because of some damage that needs to be repaired.
Distorted sounds could be caused by a low battery or because the instrument is damaged.
Volume is not loud enough
If the volume is too low, first check to see if there is only earwax or debris blocking the sound outlet. If there is no blockage, it could be because your hearing has changed, your aid needs to be re-adjusted by your Hearing Care Professional or because the device needs to be repaired. When you buy a high-quality hearing aid from Beltone, you get access to Belcare, which offers you a lifetime of hearing aid care. This exclusive program of ongoing care and protection covers you for the life of your hearing aid and protects your investment. Get in touch with us as soon as you notice any problems with your hearing aid. The earlier you seek hearing aid repair, the longer your device will last.