Were you aware that the entire month of May is dedicated to Better Hearing and Speech? It gives those in this industry the opportunity to shed light on the millions of people who suffer from hearing loss, speech or voice impairment.
Founded in 1927 by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), its main goal was to encourage people to analyze their own hearing and speech, and to take action if they suspected a problem.
3 facts you may not have known about this special month.
- On May 21, 1986, Ronald Reagan issued a formal proclamation designating May as the official month to “heighten public awareness” about hearing loss and speech disorders. President Reagan was the first president to be fitted with hearing aids while in office.
- In May 2015, ASHA focused its efforts educating the population on the importance of human communication and safe listening. As we all know, personal smart devices have become increasingly popular spanning multiple generations. It’s important to continue to instill, especially in children, the need for “safe listening” while using smart devices.
- During the month of May, Hearing Care Specialists not only try to share as much information as possible to those who might suspect they have hearing loss, but to encourage current hearing aid wearers to try new hearing aid technology. This makes May one of the best months to buy hearing aids.
Most of our Beltone locations offer FREE in-office trials of our latest technology. Why not set up an appointment today to try them out? While you’re at it, get your hearing tested, too!
Call 1-800-Beltone today to schedule your FREE hearing screening and in-office trial.
Latest posts by Amy Duvall (see all)
- Beltone Featured Customer: Ruby Puett - March 2, 2017
- Making Your Hearing Aids a Part of Your Daily Routine - February 16, 2017
- Beltone Featured Customer: Dudley Crockett - February 14, 2017